Huawei, a pioneer in foldable phones, continues to produce two types: those that fold in on themselves and those that have the display wrap around the outside of the body when folded.
The Mate Xs 2 arrives two years after its predecessor, with several hardware upgrades. A minor reduction in screen size from 8″ to 7.8″ will have little effect on usability, but it must have helped reduce weight to a much more manageable 255g.
That display now has a refresh rate of 120Hz, which is faster than the inner-folding Mate X2’s 90Hz, and a selfie camera (or should we say video call camera) has appeared in the top right corner, whereas the Mate Xs didn’t have one at all.
The minor increase in battery capacity (4,500mAh to 4,600mAh) is unlikely to be noticed, but it’s nice that it didn’t suffer as a result of the weight reductions. Meanwhile, the 66W charging support ensures quick recharges.
Huawei Mate Xs 2 specifications
- Body: Unfolded: 156.5×139.3×5.4mm; folded: 156.5×75.5×11.1mm; 255g.
- Display: 7.80″ Foldable OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, 2200x2480px resolution, 10.15:9 aspect ratio, 424ppi; folded display: 6.50″, 1176x2480px, 19:9 aspect ratio.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 4G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Cortex-X1 & 3×2.42 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×1.80 GHz Cortex-A55); Adreno 660.
- Memory: 256GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 8GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM; UFS; NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot).
- OS/Software: HarmonyOS 2.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.8, PDAF, Laser AF; Ultra-wide angle: 13 MP, f/2.2, 120˚; Telephoto: 8 MP, f/2.4, 81mm, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom. Front camera: 10.7 MP, f/2.2.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/960fps; Front camera: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps.
- Battery: 4600mAh; Fast charging 66W, Reverse charging.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; Infrared port.
- Price: The Huawei Mate Xs 2 is expected to cost Rs. 429,999 in Pakistan.
To read our blog on “PTCL Launches Smart Solutions Powered by Huawei,” click here