On Friday, Manchester United completed the loan signing of Dutch international Wout Weghorst for the remainder of the season, bolstering Erik ten Hag’s forward options.
The 30-year-old had been on loan from Burnley to Besiktas, but the Turkish giants announced that they had received 2.8 million euros ($3 million, £2.5 million) to end the deal.
United have been without a striker since Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract was terminated in November.
Weghorst joined Burnley from Wolfsburg in January 2022 for £12 million but scored only two Premier League goals as the Clarets were relegated last season.
However, he scored nine goals in 18 games for Besiktas and twice for the Netherlands last month in a thrilling World Cup quarter-final against eventual champions Argentina.
“I feel privileged to be joining Manchester United,” Weghorst said in a club statement.
“I’ve seen United’s progress under Erik ten Hag this season and can’t wait to start playing my part in pushing the team towards its aims.”
Weghorst did not register in time to play against Manchester City on Saturday. However, with the Red Devils still involved in four competitions, he will provide additional depth.
“Wout has a consistent goalscoring record across several European leagues, and his attributes will add a further dimension to our squad for the remainder of the season,” said United’s football director, John Murtough.
To read our blog on “Cristiano Ronaldo agrees €200 million per year with Saudi club,” click here